Thursday, January 14, 2010

Whole Wheat Flat Bread

I adore bread of all kinds - but some of my favorite is pita bread. I want to scream that I can't get it in my little local grocery. True Greek pita is something I've never tried to make, but it did dawn on me some time ago that I'm an Appalachian girl. This is the land of fried-anything-on-a-griddle. If I can do Johnny or hoecakes surely....

I was right. This flatbread is just daggone good. Use it in place of pita bread, or roll up just about anything you can think of for a sandwich wrap. My kiddos tear it into pieces for Hummus and That Bean Stuff (see blog entries). I like it hot off the griddle while it still burns your mouth.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 scant tbl yeast
1 cup water
2 tbl olive oil
1 tbl kosher salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with dough hook attached, combine first four ingredients. (as always with my breads feel free to work by hand!). Mix for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
2. Brush the inside of a small mixing bowl with about a teasoon of olive oil. Turn dough into oiled bowl, turning to coat evenly. Cover bowl with a clean cloth or paper towel and set aside. Allow to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.*
3. Once doubled, punch down dough. Divide dough 12 pieces. Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll each ball out very thinly. Think tortilla.
3. Heat a griddle or cast iron pan over medium high heat. I use an electric griddle set to 400F. Brush surface of griddle with olive oil, and sprinkle griddle surface with kosher salt. Place each flatbread round on top of oiled and salted surface. Cook first side until bubbled slightly - almost like a pancake, about three to four minutes. Flip and cook second side for another two to three minutes.
These are great warm for sandwich roll-ups, or cold for dips. See blog entries for Hummus and Caviar Roll-ups.

*At this point if you can refridgerate the dough to 'hold' it. When ready to use bring to room temperature and allow to continue rising. Proceed with the recipe as normal.



No comments: