Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken with Green Goddess Aioli

Anybody else remember the Green Goddess dressing thingy from the 70's? Or the version served for years here in Greeneville at Augustino's?   I do - I loved the name of the dressing when I was little, although I honestly don't remember eating it.   I know my mom made it though - and I wanted to be a goddess. My favorite color was and is green. So there.

My dad mentioned it to me last summer - and I played around until I came up with this version. I have had a few bottled versions over the years - and found them all bland and tasteless.  Frankly it's quicker, easier, tastier and cheaper to make it at home.

Strangely enough, Daddy can barely handle black pepper, but he doesn't seem to think anything ever has too much garlic. This one is heavy on the garlic - but feel free to cut it down to suit your taste.


3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbl SOS, divided (see blog entry for SOS)
1 1/2 Tb olive oil

1 cup Mayo - (homemade or not)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp lemon juice

2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbl chives, minced
1/4 cup parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Put half the SOS in a small mixing bowl with buttermilk. Add chicken pieces, and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour or up to overnight.
  2. In the meantime, in the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine all the ingredients for Green Goddess dressing, and process until well combined. Refrigerate until needed. 
  3. Put remainder of SOS in a pie plate or flat dish with panko breadcrumbs and mix well. Drain chicken from buttermilk, shaking excess off. Dip in panko, coating well, and place on a rack to dry for a few minutes. This allows the crust to set.
  4. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When hot, pan fry chicken. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan - you want a nice crispy crust. These should only take about four minutes per side. 
  5. Serve with the Green Goddess dressing! That's it!








No comments: