Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad


There was a restaurant in Seattle called Wild Ginger - that is where I first encountered a sweet, sour and spicy pickle. They were served at the satay bar, and the flavor complimented the savory foods so well. I fell in love - and had to try to mimic it. When I make this for my dad I skip the red pepper entirely, otherwise I pop it in. Allow it to marinate for at least an hour, and it's Bombshell. This one is extremely fast, very simple, and flat out delicious.

3 large cucumbers, partially peeled, thinly sliced on the bias
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 Tbl sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes - optional
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbl fresh cilantro, mined

1. Whisk together sugar, vinegar, red pepper and soy sauce. Whisk well to combine. Pour dressing over remaining ingredients, and chill well before serving.



No comments: