Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tortilla Soup

I make tons of soups. Since I feed such a crowd, it's rare that there's not a pot of something simmering away on my stove. Most of the time the pot gets empty within a day, but on occasion I have a bit leftover. I often end up with just a little bit of chili - but not enough for a meal.
Traditional tortilla soup is made with shredded chicken and green chilies - but of course I wanted tortilla soup and didn't have those things. What I did have was two cups of the Eenie Meanie Chili with Beanies (see blog entry). This soup went together in literally five minutes - dump everything in the pot and that's it. Topped with fresh tortilla strips and it's great big bowl of satisfaction. The flavor profile and 'feel' of the dish is enough different that it doesn't feel a bit like leftovers either!

2 32 ounce boxes chicken broth
2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
2 14 ounce cans black beans
2-3 cups leftover chili - or canned if you already ate it all
1 tbl salt
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

Place all ingredients in a dutch oven over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until flavors marry.
Serve with tortilla strips (see blog entry for Tortilla Bowls), freshly sliced avocado with lime, a dab of sour cream, or simply some fresh minced cilantro.

No comments: