Wednesday, January 13, 2010

SOS! Save our Supper, Same old Seasoning, Same ol' ...you know. This is GOOD stuff!

SOS

Several years ago I realized that I kept using the same several seasonings all the time. So often, that I got tired of reaching for the different bottles and played with a blend till I came up with what I liked, and just kept it mixed up and ready to go.
My son Ricky named it SOS - for Save our Supper. The cool thing about this particular seasoning blend is that not only can it be used on it's own as a base season for just about anything savory, but it is also the jumping off point for several other specialty flavor palettes - Italian, Asian, good Barbeque rub, several vinaigrettes and marinades - this is just a fabulous kitchen basic. I mix it up and put it in a plastic shaker bottle. Use it on chicken, fish, beef, eggs, basic bread or roll doughs, dab it behind your ears - everything. Start with this one, and I'll get the variations up next.

1/2 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup black pepper

Mix well and that's it. Put it everywhere.

No comments: