Monday, January 25, 2010

Fastest Tomato Soup in the South

This came about because I screwed something up. I normally buy diced tomatoes in the monster 6 lb cans - and I grabbed tomato sauce by mistake. So I had acres of it to use up. I'm glad! This is lovely - and takes only a couple of minutes to throw together. And my children - who normally despise most things tomato if it's not on spaghetti - loved it. It's pretty, rich and very, very satisfying.



3 large cans tomato sauce
1/2 box chicken broth
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/5 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbl Italian seasoning
3 large sprigs of fresh thyme
freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
sour cream, freshly minced parsley and basil to garnish
2 tsp olive oil

  1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until fragrant and translucent.
  2. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, salt, Italian seasoning, thyme and pepper. Bring to a bare simmer, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, for flavors to meld.
  3. Add cream to pot, serve well and serve.
  4. Dollop with sour cream, parsley, and basil. 

No comments: