Sunday, February 7, 2010

Memphis Style Barbecue Sauce

I have serious issues with barbecue. Most of them revolve around the fact that not every food I eat is off the grill. I think it ought to be a food group.
I also have this *slight* competitive edge. Just a small one. When I decide I have to perfect something, than by Jackson, it has to be PERFECT. I've doen this for years with barbecue. I've worked most on the Trifecta - ribs, butt and brisket, although I've been known to attempt anything over fire. Yes, Virginia, you can grill cupcakes.
Among my other issues though, two emerged as prime. The first was that I always made my sauces too spicy for my children. (I was after that perfect sweet, smokey, spicy combo). What I thought was mild just showed me I have an asbestos lining in my mouth. Which meant my kids were actually in danger of turning against barbecue. Oh laws!
Secondly, when I started grilling, smoking and que'ing, the Trifecta was still considered kind of junky cuts - which meant they were cheap and I could play a lot with them. Over the past twenty years though, barbecuing has become more and more popular, and just like tri-tip, the cost of these has doubled and tripled.
I guess my final issue was that I wanted ALL styles of barbecue. They're all so nice - how can you pick one? My favorite will always be NC-style - tangy and spicy. But I love the sweet from St. Louis, the zing of Alabama white - the purity of Texas smoked.
This is my answer to all of that - sort of. At least to the issue of my kids. This one is sweet and tangy. You can add a bit of cayenne if you want - but be careful. A little goes a long way. And of course this has honey and brown sugar both in it - so it's a finish sauce for the end of cooking. More than five minutes and it'll start to burn, not caramalize.

1 1/2 cup ketchip
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbl SOB Save Our Barbecue Rub (See Blog on SOS rub)

  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan.
  2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring well, then reduce to low. Taste - adjust sugars.
  3. Cook at lowest possible temperature for about an hour - if it doesn't quite simmer that's perfect. 

No comments: