Saturday, February 6, 2010

123 Roll Dough

I think I've been playing with this recipe for nearly 20 years. This is also the first recipe I adapted to be a "123" recipe - meaning I tweaked it until all measurements were a 1, 2, or 3. That makes it easier to remember - since most of the time I hate cooking by a recipe or using a cookbook. I'd rather research then wing it, until I get it the way I want it. The I have to write it down or I couldn't repeat it.  Sheeeesh.

I think the original came out of a Southern Living cookbook - but I've made it so long I'm not really sure. What I do know is that this is the easiest, most versatile weapon in my arsenal. It's awesome. The same dough can go sweet or savory - heck, the same BATCH can go either way. You can even make part of a batch into something, and stash the rest in the fridge for a day or so.

Roll little balls and stash in muffin tins and you have a basic dinner roll. Roll it out into triangles, brush with garlic butter and Parmesan, and you have Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls. Roll into a big rectangle, cover with butter, brown sugar, and raisins, and you have Cinnamon Rolls. This  is most certainly one of my favorite tricks. Get this one down -  and it's so easy it's ridiculous - and you'll be a Rock Star for sure.

1 cup warm water
1 Tbl yeast
2 Tbl sugar
1 Tsp salt
2 Tbl shortening
1 egg
3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp oil
butter - for brushing

  1. Place water and yeast in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough hook. Add sugar, egg, and shortening and mix to combine.
  2. Add flour - starting with 2 1/2 cups a 1/2 cup at a time and mixing well. If dough is sticky, add a little additional flour. I usually end up with 3 cups, depending on the weather.
  3. Sprinkle in salt, and knead - with the dough hook or by hand - for five minutes or so. The dough should be smooth and elastic and just a tad bit sticky - but only a tiny, tiny bit sticky.
  4. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, turning it to oil all sides. Cover and allow it to rest for about 1 hour - or until doubled in size.
  5. Punch down dough. At this step you can choose your shape. I make mini rolls in a miniature muffin tin, or crescent rolls, sweet rolls - buns - you name it. In any case, roll the dough out and shape to your preference.
  6. Allow to rest, covered, for another hour. Whatever shape you make, brush with melted butter before baking. Bake for 10 minutes at 400F.

No comments: