Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Bangkok Breakdown - Larb Gai Burgers

I adore Thai food - I first encountered it in Birmingham, Alabama at a place called Surin West. It was sublime - and so completely different than anything I had ever encountered. I was enamored to my toes.

One of the dishes that I had there was Larb Gai - a chicken salad done with ground chicken, chilies and limes. It's served hot, and it's unlike anything else.
Not long ago I made some for my children - and it was the simple happenstance of having hamburger buns on the kitchen counter that gave me the idea of mimicking the flavor of Larb Gai in a burger. The first batch was pretty good, but the second was out of this world.

So - Bangkok Breakdown is for the beautiful flavor profile, and for the fact that I 'broke down' the classic dish. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Makes 6 Burgers
2 Tbl Toasted rice powder (see blog entry on Toasted Rice Powder)
1 1/2 lb ground chicken
1/2 tsp hot chili powder*
1 1/2 Tbl fish sauce
zest of 1 lime
2 Tbl green onions, including
1 egg white
3 green onions, sliced
3 Tbl mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 Tbl olive oil
Spicy Slaw and Sweet and Sour Thai Style Pickles (See Blog Entries)

1. Add toasted rice powder, chili powder, fish sauce, lime zest, green onions, egg white and mint leaves to the bowl of a food processor or blender.

2. Blend well - you'll have a loose paste.

3. Add egg white mixture to the chicken and blend thoroughly, but don't over mix. Handling the meat too much will lead to tough burgers.

4. Shape meat into six patties. Cover and chill until ready to grill - can be made ahead by a few hours if you like.

5. Oil grill with cooking spray or a little olive oil. Preheat grill to medium high. Allow it to fully preheat - this is important for preventing sticking.

6. Place burger patties on the hot grill, close the lid and walk away. Don't touch anything for six minutes. At that point, flip once, and only once. Grill another six minutes.

7. Allow burgers to rest at least five minutes before serving. Serve with Spicy Slaw and Sweet and Sour Thai Style Pickles.



*Use Thai chili powder if you can find it - it's wonderful. If not, use a dash of cayenne and a little crushed red pepper flakes.





No comments: