Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chicken Love for Leigh

Really - I don't think in my head that chicken soup will actually do anything for you physically if you're sick. But in my heart of hearts I do know that it does do two things.  First - whoever gets it feels better because someone loved them enough to make homemade chicken soup. Second - it actually lets you DO something for someone who is under the weather.

Tradition is that chicken soup will help fight a cold, and there is some evidence that garlic has some natural antibiotic properties. I'm a firm believer in the longheld Chinese belief that fresh or pickled ginger will help an unhappy tummy. I like to use strong flavors just because if you have a cold, you often can't taste flavors as strongly.

I make this for my daughter all the time. She told me once that she likes being sick because of the soup. Not bad.

Recently a long-time friend was feeling punky, and I was really stuck. Not only was she feeling bad - she was too far away for me to do much. So I made her a long distance pot of love. One day I'll deliver a fresh pot in person!

1 32 oz can chicken broth (homemade is better if you have it!)
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp ginger, grated
1 cup cooked chicken, diced
8 oz medium egg noodles
1 Tbl salt
2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 Tbl olive oil



  1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch overn over medium heat. Saute the onion, celery and carrot for three minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, ginger, thyme and bay leaf and saute for another three minutes. You should have a great fragrance by now, with the veggies becoming tender.
  3. Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
  4. Add egg noodles and slightly undercook according to package directions. For example, if the package says to cook for 8 minutes, then go for 7 once added to the soup. Add salt and pepper at this point. 
  5. Add chicken to the pot and stir well to combine. Adjust for seasoning, and re-season if necessary.

No comments: