Friday, December 10, 2010

Peanut Butter Buckeyes

I love, love, love when something makes me look good - and even better? When it's ridiculously delicious, super easy and makes me look not just good, but brilliant. The first time I made these peanut butter buckeyes I realized that this was one of those concoctions.



A buckeye is simply a candy made from peanut butter, rolled into a ball and dipped in chocolate. What you end up with is like a Reese's Cup, but one that has been dressed up for the prom. The peanut butter is smooth, sweet and creamy, and they're robed in a semi sweet chocolate coating. They're adorable to look at, easy to produce, and the taste is out of this world.



I took these to so many parties, and delivered so many boxes at the holidays (by request!) that I *almost* got tired of them. Because no matter how many thousands I made, I always found myself going back to the fridge for just one more....they're that good. And if the kids find out I've been making buckeyes, well then Nelly bar the door. My oldest son will do anything - and I do mean anything - for these. Want the yard raked? Windows washed? Floors swept? Buckeyes. And when I say these are good - let me just say these will make a teenager keep his room clean. Bombshell in little balls, dipped in chocolate.




The Recipe!

You'll need:



•1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

•1 stick butter, room temperature

•3 cups powdered sugar*

•pinch of salt

•1 12 ounce package semi sweet chocolate chips

•2 tablespoons shortening

1.In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend together peanut butter, butter and the pinch of salt. Mix until very smooth and fully combined.

2.Add about half of the powdered sugar, blending on low until incorporated. Add enough additional sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until the mixture is stiff enough to hold a ball when rolled out. You may also add additional sugar to taste, but too much will make the centers crumbly instead of creamy. I normally stop at about three cups.

3.Once the sugar is fully incorporated, roll the mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter. A small scooper or disher is perfect for this, or a tablespoon works well. They're prettiest in a group when they are even.

4.Melt chocolate and shortening together in the microwave, using 30 second bursts, and stirring well. You want it just to come together and be smooth.

5.Stick each peanut butter ball on a toothpick, and dip into the melted chocolate to cover 3/4 of the ball. The point is that they look like real buckeyes. Transfer to a waxed paper lined sheet and allow to dry.

6.Store in the fridge, although they taste best at room temperature, so allow to sit out for a few minutes before serving. If you wish, smooth over the little spot made by the toothpick before giving as gifts.

*You may need a bit more powdered sugar, up to 5 cups. This recipe is to taste, and the amount needed to make the peanut butter centers the consistency you wish.




No comments: