Friday, March 12, 2010

Red Velvet Molten Lava Cakes

Can we say Happy Accident, mon amis? Some things are destined, and in this case the Food Fairies guided my hand.
I wanted a molten lava cake based on the red velvet so beloved in my Southern homeland - but it just wasn't working out like I wanted. I couldn't really capture the light cocoa flavor and slightly rough texture of the real red velvet, while maintaining the gooey lovely inside.
I had finally had the idea that I was convinced was going to work, and I was happily melting white chocolate at my stove. I reached for the red food coloring to impart that screaming scarlet that must be there, when I realized I had instead put in about a tablespoon of orange extract.
After a few choice words that were not taught in my deportment classes, I realized that since I was that far through I might as well proceed to see if the structure of the dish was what I was after. And a miracle occurred!
Not only were the little cakes heavenly - perfect texture, that red velvet flavor, and a gooey middle - but the orange was actually a phenomenal accent. Think of an elevated orange Tootsie Roll - but far more elegant and subtle. You can certainly leave it out, but I'm taking this little gift with gratitude, and will use it from now on...
For the Recipe, click here!



No comments: