Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Wealthy Green Vinaigrette

I grew up with turnip greens. I love them. They are earthy, a bit bitter, and have a hint of sweetness unlike any other kind of sweet.. We had them every year on New Year’s Day with our black eyed peas – the greens represented money, and the black eyed peas were coins – so consumption represented wealth for the coming year.
My own kids are less than delighted with turnip greens. I serve them like I do all foods – continuing to offer them and encouraging the kids to taste, but so far only my daughter has decided she likes them as well as I do. This vinaigrette was my way of sneaking in a little New Year’s luck without a battle. The dressing is actually delicious, bright and tangy, with just a hint of sweet from the turnip greens.
I don’t feel guilty at all, by the way, about deceiving the kids about what they’re eating. They’re my children. It’s my job to trick them.




Wealthy Vinaigrette

¼ cup dark greens, blanched*
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 glove garlic
1 tbs Dijon mustard
½ to ¾ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients except olive oil and process until smooth. With the processor running, drizzle the oil into the bowl in a slow stream. Adjust seasonings, and serve.

*You can substitute any kind of dark greens you’d like – collards, kale or spinach. Spinach will have the mildest flavor, so be careful with the salt if you use it.

If using frozen greens, make sure you squeeze as much water as possible from them before using. If using fresh, blanch them briefly to preserve the bright, rich color.

No comments: